Monday, September 26, 2011

My lawn sings....






Well, summer is finally winding down, and so begins the work of putting the garden to bed. I have begun seed saving, both flowers and vegetables, some composting, and putting away decorations. I have picked a small mountain of oregano and have it hanging to dry in the greenhouse. I plan to dry some chives, sage and thyme as well.
I took down our screen tent, and while pulling up the stakes, I noticed how many crickets were hanging out on the screens. Once the tent was rolled up and the bare patch of grass was exposed, I could see through the yellowing grass roots how many crickets were really there. And in a moment of pause, I could hear a cacophony of cricket legs hoping to find each other. It was really nice.

I am planning to re-offer my saved seeds this year at a local event's fundraiser. So this year, I am taking pictures of the plants to accompany the seeds so buyers can see what the plants looked like. I think it's a great idea...one that is obviously used by commercial seed sellers. However, I use little brown manila envelopes that I hand decorate, so a photo with each packet is not practical.

On a side note, I am glad to see so many friends and colleagues working toward more food sustainability, and raising awareness toward such things. At the same time, while I feel good about the work that I'm doing, I really feel that it is just a drop in the rain barrel, hahaha. I am planning to read more this winter about permaculture while I do some research for a book I am planning to write. I have not purchased a pressure canner yet, like I had hoped. Nor I have processed as much of the season's harvest as I would have liked. I have hundreds of empty mason jars in the basement, and it bothers me every time I walk by them, lamenting the lost opportunity to make pickles, salsa, or jam. This is due to having a small baby this summer who is absolutely terrific! So, I am trying to be more forgiving with myself for not being as much of a squirrel that I would like to have been this year.

No comments: