Thursday, June 24, 2010

Been busy in the garden....

While I do tend to cherish the time to visit my plants, do a little weeding, watering, and replanting when the spirited grey squirrel has decided to dig up my bok choy seedlings, I have been thinking about how I have not been living well.
While I try to live with an evolutionary consciousness, to re-create myself as a member who is seeking to terminate my membership in a very dysfunctional society, I do become stuck in the gap.
I speak often of having to live with one foot in this industrial, commercial and mechanistic society, and one foot in another world, one that celebrates and raises my awareness to the fact that I live within an evolutionary story. I am a member of a community of people, who similarly to the people of Copernicus's time, are coming to understand that separateness is an illusion, that all life is kin, all of Earth's dynamics exist inside a larger story. And this story provides a new framework for defining why humans live.
The last line in one of Chellis Glendinning's books answers the perennial question: What is the meaning of human life? She answers: To celebrate creation! To become fully human is to feel the urgency and to actually move to celebrate, to witness, and to be creative with a sense of living in a permaculture, and the larger Universe Story.
Now, permaculture often is used to describe an approach to growing all kinds of plants, the wise use and nurturance of water and soil, and to meet our pest adversaries with humility and to watch them to learn how to work with, rather than against them.
Permaculture also means to me: finding a way to create a culture that is leaning in a direction that is permanent. By accepting that there is nowhere else to go when the garbage and depletion has come home to rest, we can decide to become long term residents, with our existence in the land reflecting our commitment to our progeny. And by understanding that our kin, the bees, the ladybugs, the butterflies, and the wasps, are all my family - is where and how I find strength when I find myself in the gap.

No comments: