Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Third More Flowers!

I am happy to share that a couple of friends, Lily and Sylvia, joined me last Saturday to tackle the front lawn. I had purchased 40 perennial flowers and herbs to be planted on the front lawn. We dug up the top layer of grass, which consisted mostly of weeds, then laid down some cardboard, some leaf mold and grass clippings, upon which we laid down a layer of landscaping material. Four bags of top soil, which was barely enough, went on top. Lily and I then dug through the material and mulches to plant all the flowers and herbs. We then went about decorating......
I put out an old ladder which we wrapped the morning glories around, a garden gnome for good luck, three shepherd's hooks with lanterns, and some large sea shells.
I think it looks terrific! Next spring....I'll have a better idea of what needs to be added. A nice selection of flowers, herbs and ground covers - all growing beside the bachelor buttons, dill, sage and nasturtiums. All I need now are some bricks or stones to give it a polished look.
While doing the work, I kept thinking how several of my neighbours were watching us. This is the second lawn on the street to do something like this. Lawn replacing is really outside the norm still, on this street at least, and people might be afraid that this will negatively affect their property values. Or, it might inspire them to eliminate their time consuming, and petroleum consuming lawns.
I drew my inspiration from H.C. Flores' book "Food not Lawns". Next spring, I plan to sneak in some parsley, some red swiss chard, and some giant orange amaranth. Lastly, I am happy to be invited to attend the upcoming urban food conference here in London at Brescia University College, Oct 16th, and hopefully, as a member with Seeds of Diversity Canada.
Photos of the lawn conversion to be posted shortly. Thanks for reading!

No comments: