Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fall spinach, squash, and seeds



This photo reminds me of Bob Marley's song about three little birds beside his doorstep. These beautiful creatures are yellow finches and they've been hanging around my Italian white sunflowers, my Hopi red dye amaranth, and the cosmos flowers. All the flowers are heavy with seed and it is comical to watch the birds hang on to the stems while dangling to eat the seeds. My cats watch from under the picnic table for a chance to grab a non-mindful birdie.

The fall spinach I planted, Galilee and Long Standing Bloomdale, are about 4 inches high and I will likely be able to start picking in a week. The kale are doing really well too. The squash plants are busy trying to finish growing a few more squash. I planted a single pepper squash this year and it has yielded 6 large squash so far. I let one of the yellow zucchine grow 20 inches long in the hopes of saving some great seed for next year. I'll make yellow zucchini bread with what is left over.

Yesterday, I visited the Farmer's Market in Dorchester Ontario with my Dad, to check out what was offered. And what an amazing surprise! Ten pound bags of onions, carrots and beets for $2. For that price, I stocked up. I have a fairly cool basement, with a potato bin for onions, squash and potatoes, of course!

Lastly, I did use my dehydrator last week for my cherry tomatoes. I cut them in half and it took about 12 hours. I rotated the trays so they'd all dry out evenly. Five pounds of cherry toms became a single bag of tomato raisins. I am storing them in the freezer for good measure. I can toss them in soups and stews over the winter. My bottling efforts have yielded 18 quart-sized bottles of stewed tomatoes and herb sauce. I didn't do any salsa yet, as I figured sauce was more important.

This new photo on this blog was taken in my backyard with a zoomed in look at some of my zebra cherry tomatoes and onion bulbs. Thanks for reading!

No comments: